Give ordinary mashed potatoes a delicious lift of color and flavor by adding pumpkin. If you like, serve in mini pumpkins for a special presentation. (By: Diabetic Living Magazine)
- 1 pound medium baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel)
- 1 tablespoon butter or tub-style vegetable oil spread
- ⅛ teaspoon ground sage
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- 1 recipe Miniature Pumpkin Bowls (optional)
- Fresh sage leaves (optional)
- In a covered large saucepan, cook potatoes and garlic in enough boiling water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Mash with a potato masher or beat with an electric mixer on low speed until nearly smooth. Beat in canned pumpkin, cream cheese, butter, ground sage, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Gradually add milk, beating until light and fluffy. Return to saucepan; heat through.
- If desired, spoon mashed potatoes into Miniature Pumpkin Bowls and garnish with sage leaves.
- To prepare the optional Miniature Pumpkin Bowls: Preheat oven to 325°F. Cut off ½ inch from the tops of 4 miniature pumpkins (6 to 8 ounces each); discard tops. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds and membranes and discard. Place pumpkins, cut sides down, on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or just until pumpkins are easily pierced with a fork.
#wrdp #romford #healthyteeth #dentalhealth #treats #granola #recipes